Thursday, July 12, 2007

Chi-Cheemaun

Day 51: South Baymouth to Tobermory, ON--1 mile (bicycle), and 30 miles by ferry!

Today was a bittersweet day. The bitter is because today is the one-year anniversary of the day Tom got hit by the car on his bicycle. So we've been thinking about him even more than ever--feeling a little anger at the events that ended his life, and also appreciating how long we had him here. We know he's with us on this ride, but it would have been so much more fun to have him here in person. I also have been overrun with thoughts of David's mom and dad, so they must all be up there throwing thoughts my way! I checked, and we're at almost $1500 in donations. Today would be an appropriate day to donate to Tom's charity: the link is http://www.active.com/donate/BNB_Membership/tomsride if you want to check it out. I'm still going for $10,000!

It's weird to be happy and sad at the same time, but today started out with rain and clouds and then turned into this bright, beautifully vibrant day in a village by the water!


We started our day with a nice breakfast at the guesthouse, and then went over to catch the ferry to Tobermory. It's called the M.S. Chi-Cheemaun, and it's about 365 feet long. I think it holds about 100 cars or so. It looked big enough to me! We met another cyclist on the ferry--Neskie who is riding from Vancouver to Nova Scotia to do his last year of college. He's REALLY traveling light, and was just a great guy! We hope to see him again someday.


The ferry ride lasted 2 hours, and was really cool. We were first on and first off, so we got to see the motorcycles, vehicles, trucks, transports, and motor homes all join us and leave behind us. Once in Tobermory, we thought that we'd just take the day off from cycling in Tom's honor, and enjoy this beautiful place!


Lots of shopping and a little work and some blogging later, we're ready for dinner. In one of the shops, I found a quote (no attribution) that I thought was really neat. Here it is:

"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

So we will.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Traci and David
Just wanted to let you know we are still reading. I noticed that no one had commented for few days, so figured I would let you know we're still here living vicariously through both of you. And yes, I believe it's been taking Tom, Robert and Helen to keep you guys safe with all of the perilious road stuff you have had to deal with. Keep being safe!

Anonymous said...

Traci,
I have also been reading, but having a hard time leaving any comments, so I am doing it anonymously again!!! We love you guys and miss you. Scott is entered in another triathalon tomorrow and I am taking Mom to Charleston for the big 50th wedding anniversary party for Nina and Bobby. So give us a call and we'll tell you all our news. Stay safe!! Love, Holli

pleasantcemetery said...

Weytk,
I see you had a light day. I made it to Owen Sound from Tobermory. I had a wonderful host from the Warmshowers list. I'm now in Kettle Point which is about 200km south of Owen Sound on Lake Huron. There's a Pow Wow here this weekend which was a delightful surprise. Have fun on the rest of your journey and hope to see you soon. BTW there's a link to my Google Map where I post notes about where I am at http://tsitslem.cable.nu:81